This page highlights the importance of staff attitudes and behaviour and recommends actions to encourage better coordination across physical and mental healthcare boundaries.
Influence attitudes and behaviours
Support a shift in attitude to a position of shared accountability – where the whole system recognises an equal role in the reduction of inequalities.
Actions to take
- Facilitate and encourage cross-sector collaboration, relationships and pathways. Engage with primary care, mental health, acute and community trusts, voluntary sector, local businesses, local authority and public health.
- Develop cross-sector staffing models to deliver screening, monitoring and evidence-based treatments.
- Improve communication, relationships and flexible pathways between acute trusts and inpatient mental health services.
- Improve information sharing about non-NHS providers and support the development of clear navigation models for providers to access community-based interventions and wellbeing initiatives. This should be encouraged regardless of current care setting.
- Encourage community leadership in supporting the physical health agenda.