This section of the toolkit include a range of advice for parents and carers children and young people on how to deal with situations and mental health concerns in relation to LGBTQ+.
LGBTQ+ resources for parents and carers
- FFLAG are a national charity who are dedicated to supporting parents and their lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans children. As well as providing resources and information on their website, they also run a helpline (call 0845 652 0311 to speak to someone) and recommend books that can help parents and carers understand and properly support their LGBT+ child.
Advice if you think your child might be LGBT
- Stonewall have published a ‘frequently asked by parents with LGBTQ+ children’ section on their website. This includes answers with valuable information and it also signposts to services that are available for in your area for further support.
YoungMinds: Supporting a child when they come out
- This article discusses what you can do to support your child when they come out. Although it can be a challenging time for a parent, this provides a few tips from one parent’s experience including respect, communicating, research and more.
YoungMinds: A Guide for Parents on what do if your child is having suicidal thoughts
- This page provides advice for parents whose child may be struggling with suicidal feelings, or if you’re worried they might be, here are some ways you can support them and places you can get help.
Action for Trans Health
- Action for Trans Health are a national organisation who promote trans people’s access to healthcare, from providing a list of trans-friendly GPs to campaigning for changes to the law.
Gendered Intelligence: Projects for Trans Young People
- Gendered Intelligence run projects for young people who identify as trans. Their Knowledge is Power resource is a great place to start educating yourself about trans people and trans issues. They also have information for parents and families, as well as for adults who work with young people (such as teachers and youth workers).
Barnardos: Supporting LGBTQ+ young people
- Barnardos support LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and those questioning their sexual or gender identity) children, young people and their families in the UK., bisexual and trans children. As well as providing resources and information on their website, they also run a helpline (call 0845 652 0311 to speak to someone) and recommend books that can help parents and carers understand and properly support their LGBT+ child.
Tagged: Children and young people's mental health