Childline offers a range of online advice and guidance on mental health and emotional wellbeing. It is easily accessible and uses clear and straightforward language. There is information on how to seek additional help and advice for young people concerned about particular issues.
There as well as the opportunity for children and young people to:
- Call a counsellor and have an individual session.
- One to one chat room with online counsellors.
- Send an email with a question or issue for less immediate matters.
- Use a message board to share issues with other young people. There are message boards on a range of topics including mental health.
This remains a free to use service.
Kooth – Online Counselling Service
Kooth have been commissioned in thirteen local authority/CCG areas. They provide online counselling services to young people. They see working closely with schools as key to the success of their service. They will attend school assemblies and provide materials for schools to promote their service.
As at September 2018 Kooth is provided in:
- Kingston Upon Thames
- Kensington & Chelsea
- Hammersmith & Fulham
- Barking & Dagenham
- Hillingdon (and a small part of Harrow)
- Waltham Forest
The Mix – Online Support for Under 25s
The Mix offers a range of online advice and guidance across a range of issues including an emphasis on mental health.
It is aimed at the older age group and would be less suitable for younger children.
Apart from the information available through their website, they offer the following direct services:
- Helpline open to those aged up to 25
- Email service, with a response within 24 hours
- Crisis Messenger service – immediate responses to text messages
- One to one chat service on any issue
- Telephone counselling for short term assistance with mental health or emotional wellbeing issues
- Webchat counselling
Other than the crisis messenger service, these are not open 24 hours, so please check the website.