Maternal mental health in London
As part of its commitment to improving Maternity and Neonatal Services, the NHS Long Term Plan outlined the introduction of the Maternity Outreach Clinics (subsequently renamed Maternal Mental Health Services) to: “integrate maternity, reproductive health and psychological therapy for women experiencing mental health difficulties directly arising from, or related to, the maternity experience”. The target is to have MMHS in every area of the country by 2023/24.
Who can access maternal mental health services?
The MMHS is intended to treat moderate to severe mental health difficulties presenting in four main pathways:
Maternal Mental Health Sites within London – there are four sites accepting referrals in London including The Maple Team based in North Central London, Maternity Trauma and Loss Care Service (M-TLC) in North West London, The Ocean service and the Tulip Service in North East London.
Please note that the sites in South East London and South West London are preparing to open services in the autumn of 2022.
How to make a referral
Referrals can be made by any health or social care professional and self-referrals are being accepted by some sites. Not all pilot sites are offering all four pathways.
Partners are also able to be referred to an MMHS for assessment only, after which they will be signposted appropriately to other support services within their areas.
Each pilot site has its own referral form and criteria. Please see links and contact email addresses for each service.
Support across London
Maternity Trauma and Loss Care Service (M-LTC) for women and birthing people who live in North West London. Please view the following links for more information:
- For women and birthing people who live in Brent, Harrow, Hillingdon, Kensington and Chelsea or Westminster please visit Maternity Trauma and Loss Care Service (North West London) : Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust (cnwl.nhs.uk)
- For women and birthing people who live in Ealing, Hounslow or Hammersmith and Fulham please visit: https://www.westlondon.nhs.uk/our-services/adult/mental-health-services/maternity-trauma-and-loss-care
The Maple service for women and birthing people who live in the boroughs of Enfield and Haringey.
- To make a referral, contact: NCL.firstname.lastname@example.org and visit https://gps.northcentrallondon.icb.nhs.uk/service/north-london-partners-specialist-perinatal-mental-health-service-spmhs# for further information.
The Tulip service for women and birthing people who live in the boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Redbridge, Waltham Forest, and Havering.
- To make a referral, contact: email@example.com
The Ocean service for women and birthing people who live in the boroughs of City, Tower Hamlets, Newham, and Hackney.
- To make a referral, contact:firstname.lastname@example.org