Mother and baby units in London
Mother and baby units (MBUs) provide specialist care and treatment when a mother is suffering from a mental illness and needs an admission to hospital.
These services allow for the mother and her baby to remain together, supporting their attachment and bonding, while the mother receives the care and treatment she needs to recover from mental illness.
Contact details for London Mother and Baby Units
A range of family focussed interventions are on offer, with staff including psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists, nursery nurses and occupational therapists. Women can be admitted from 30 weeks of pregnancy until the end of the first postnatal year.
There are three Mother and Baby Units that cater to the needs of all women and birthing people across London, regardless of where they live.
East London MBU (Homerton) – Hackney
- Website: East London MBU
- Telephone: 020 8510 8420
- Referral: To refer, call 020 8510 8420
Central and North West London MBU (Coombe Wood) – Ealing
- Website: Central and North West London MBU
- Telephone: 0203 838 7743 / 7748
- Referral: To refer, use referral form on the website
South London and Maudsley MBU – Lambeth
- Website: South London and Maudsley MBU
- Telephone: 020 3228 4265 / 4255
- Referral: To refer, use the referral form on the website
- Please note, South London and Maudsley MBU will close for refurbishment in 2022.