Summary of survey responses
Evidence-based interventions included personalised invitations and reminders such as text messaging and calling non-responders
Across the 32 London CCGs:
59 generic interventions to support all screening programmes were reported; all were classified as ‘enablers’.
Pan-London evidence-based interventions consisting of pre-screening text reminders are reported for the breast and cervical screening programmes only.
- 49 locally planned breast screening interventions were reported, of which 42 (86%) were evidence-based.
- 46 locally planned cervical screening interventions were reported, of which only 5 CCGs (11%) reported an evidence-based intervention (personalised reminders by text, phone or letter)
- 78 bowel screening interventions were reported, of which 49 (63%) were evidence-based. All CCGs reported at least one locally planned evidence-based intervention (personalised reminders by phone)
There were no current interventions in West Essex CCG.
Not all reported interventions were ‘active’ at the time of reporting. For 17 (35%) breast, 6 (8%) bowel, 4 (9%) cervical and 8 (14%) generic interventions, the service had not commenced by January 2020. Information is incomplete as no details were provided about start and end dates for 60 (26%) of all interventions
For 107 (46%) of all interventions, evaluation was planned or in progress. For the remaining 127 (54%), no information about evaluation was provided.
The overall number of interventions reported in a CCG was not associated with screening coverage rate for any of the 3 screening programmes.